Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Reunions

Last weekend I had my 20th high school reunion. I have been thinking about how to blog about it for days, but I don't think I can. I have such mixed feelings, and people on my personal facebook page have been so reunion obsessed. Therefore, I shall write about a different reunion of sorts: Me and my pen. In less than a month, I will begin writing my fifth novel. That's not entirely accurate; I started writing the book a while ago. My writing pattern has been this way for most of my books: write the first several chapters and leave them for a time. I hadn't realized until, well, right now, that I had that pattern.  Because my advice about writing is always to write straight through, and don't stop until you finish. But I guess I don't actually subscribe to that. In the past, I started many of my books during my students' ISATS testing (those are the Illinois Standard Tests). The tests went on for many hours and many days, and all I had to do was proctor them. It was the perfect time to write the beginning of a book. But after the tests were over, I was still working full time, which meant I couldn't continue with the rest of the book until the summer. This time around, I wasn't technically working full time, although my mom job is way more full time than my librarian job ever was. At least when I was away at work, I could have more than two minutes in a row to think about something. Not now. Somehow I found the time to write the beginning of this new book, but then I got REALLY distracted. It will be interesting to see what I think of the beginning of the book. Will I change much? Will I scrap it? (Unlikely, because even though I don't remember much about it, I do remember I already had a really strong character going. Although, the love interest may end up looking different based on what movie star infatuations I have now vs. what I had when I originally wrote it). Will I finish it in the minuscule time I have left to write it? Time will tell.

That's all the blog I have time to write. There's a small person next to me interrupting me again. Something about needing food in the morning...

No comments: