Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Movies of Summer

You see how these posts are working? Tomorrow it will be TV. Then, hmmm, maybe food? I don't know. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of blogging.

Yesterday I took Romy to see Madagascar 3. We haven't seen any of the other ones, but this one was reviewed well and we couldn't possibly not see it after seeing this in a trailer:

I can't remember what movie we saw originally that had the trailer. I now realize fully that I have a terrible memory. That is going to be my excuse from now on. I think people make excuses like that so they don't have to try as hard. I am officially not trying as hard. Um, what was I writing about? Madagascar. I thought it was going to be a lot funnier than it was, based on reviews. I wanted to be roaring with laughter. What was funny was how Romy kept asking, "Where's the afro circus?" And when the actual afro circus moment came on, she was so busy telling me that he afro circus moment was indeed on that she missed it. Luckily they repeated the song numerous times throughout the film. I guess they knew. I really liked the circus scenes, which were probably way more impressive in 3-D.

For our anniversary, Matt and I saw Moonrise Kingdom in the theater. I have seen every Wes Anderson movie in the theater, except for Bottle Rocket, because I'm not that cool. I didn't love Moonrise Kingdom, but that probably had to do with my very protective nature towards middle school-aged kids (which the two stars were). I said to Matt that I thought they weren't portrayed realistically, and he said pretty much no character in a Wes Anderson movie is very realistic. True. But I still had trouble buying into it. I'll still see all his movies in theaters, though. They're quite good-looking.

As for rentals, I have become one of those people who checks my local library's website every day for "on-order" DVDs. That way, I'm usually one of the first ten people on the hold list for the newest movies (people are way crazier than I am and must check the library's website ten times a day because there is always someone ahead of me). My brain is in such fart mode that I may have to run upstairs to get my movies watched cheat sheet. The favorite so far of new movies was 21 Jump Street. It was much funnier than anticipated and has now put me in full Channing Tatum mode (I almost typed both "Stockard Channing" and "Carol Channing" first). Last night we watched The Eagle, and I'm watching Step Up on the treadmill. I must say I am thoroughly enjoying Step Up. I love a good star-crossed dance movie, starting with Breakin'.

Whoa! Shabba-Doo! Your hand is totally on Special K's ass! This type of movie also includes Breakin' 2, as well as Save the Last Dance (this movie still makes me embarrassed for Julia Stiles when I watch it). They are especially good for treadmill viewing because they have lots of motivational music with good beats, and the dancing people make me want to move. As I type this, I am still dreading getting on the treadmill. Although, back to Channing Tatum-- how adorable is he? Quite. And dancing with his little sideways baseball cap? Sigh. I think he'd be some generic jock actor in my mind if it weren't for his exceptional dancing prowess. I may have to go see Magic Mike in the theater. I hear he dances to one of my favorite, hilarious, ridiculously perverted hip-hop songs: "Pony" by Ginuine.

Other movies seen this summer: Wanderlust, A Dangerous Method (I will never be able to look at Keira Knightley again without seeing her make the awful faces she made in this movie), and the first two minutes of American Reunion. Because I realized that at this point in my life I have no desire to watch Jason Biggs masturbate. Do other people?

No comments: