Friday, July 08, 2011

Linkidinks

There has been a lot of good stuff going around the web lately.  Or maybe there always is, and I am using it now to be bad when I should be good and revising my novel.  Here are some of my recent faves:

Worst analogies ever written in a high school essay - A colleague pointed this one out.  She said it was probably for an assignment of bad analogies.  I think many are rather hilarious and brilliant.  I would like to meet these kids.

Soundgarden Inadvertently Reunites at Area Cinnabon - This article from the Onion, which I thought was the funniest thing on Earth, is now not as funny that I learned they are actually reunited.  Still highly entertaining.

I spent WAY too much time watching the live footage of the Harry Potter premiere at Trafalgar Square (streaming live online).  The best parts can be seen below, where, in the first one, the producers make speeches, and, in the second, the actors and Jo make their speeches.  You are an evil piece of poo if you don't start crying when Rupert gives his speech, and not just because Ron Weasely is my sweetie.  Rupe could not be more sincere, and no matter what others may think, I adore his new wave haircut.  I don't know how I'm going to make it through (or even to) the final movie without bawling the entire time.  I'm already choked up. 




So are you crying? If not, you must be a Slytherin.

To end on a happy note (or a frightening child-raising note, depending on how you feel about this), here is a child headbanging to Pantera.

3 comments:

carey said...

yay for fun links! that analogies list is wonderful, and it gets misattributed alllll the time. it comes from the washington post style invitational, a humor contest the post ran on sundays. the contest on this particular week was, of course, to make up terrible analogies. it was originally published sometime in the mid-'90s, i think--i know i was in high school at the time. as far as i know, no actual high school students were winners, but paul sabourin (of the "hefty bag" analogy) later went on to be part of the a cappella group da vinci's notebook and now performs as half of the duo paul and storm.

-carey farrell, explainer of the origin of the "bad analogies" list on the internet since 1997 :)

Julie H said...

Why does that list even go around, let alone get misattributed? I mean, it's funny and all, but no need to lie about it, people! And it's way less cool now that I know adults had something to do with it. Thank you for setting me straight!

carey said...

one of the (many) great mysteries of the internet!