Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Shanty

We receive a local newspaper that, while very slim on real news, shares things like where and when there will be a farmers market and who won the nearby high school track meet.  There is also a delightful police blotter section, although I make sure NOT to read the opinions section where the only people who voice their opinions are very politically off.  That's my opinion, of course.  My favorite new piece of the paper, or at least new to me (we only started getting this paper after giving money to a student for her college fund.  It's some deal where she gets the money and we get the newspapers), is the ad campaign for a local restaurant called "The Shanty."  First of all, great name, right?  I have no idea what their food tastes like, but I'm assuming it's greasy and fish-related.  I don't know if I'll ever eat there, but I admire their chutzpah.  Behold:



Those are the entirety of the ads.  No address, no menu, no guff.  Just some really old pictures and a little info, along with their jaunty name.  I like how in the last ad it just said, "Shanty."  Who is the creative genius behind these ads?  Does anyone else look at the paper and think these are somehow too artistically excellent to be placed next to the busyness of coupon and text heavy other local business ads?  And the biggest question of all: are those the guys who will be playing live music on Friday and Saturday nights?  If so, how can I not pay a visit to The Shanty?  Now where did I put my bonnet?


No comments: