Sunday, September 26, 2010

Who am I?

Such a profound blog subject!  Oy!  But seriously folks... is this thing on?  I'm in a weird mood apparently.  Perhaps it's because I SLEPT last night.  Which is, of course, hilarious in many ways, since I finally made an appointment with the dang sleep doctor for tomorrow.  I may have to call and cancel.  If I sleep tonight.  The suck of it, if what someone told me was correct, is that my sleep time has to be before 10:00 in order to sleep the entire night because I trained my body (while I was working in a school) to go to sleep that early in order to get sufficient sleep for my early morning work day.  But now that I'm trying to stay up, and not even an hour later, the difference in bedtime has me PASSING my sleep moment, and, therefore, prevents me from sleeping through the night.  Is that true?  I'll never be able to watch a movie in one sitting again!

Enough sleep talk.  It's making me hungry.  Speaking of hungry, yesterday I went to the 7th Annual Young Adult Literature Conference at Anderson's Bookshop.  Actually, it was at a funky hotel that served my favorite, expensive brand of tea.  I totally should have taken some teabags home with me.  What was I thinking?  Anywho, I was hungry because the lunch for vegetarians was the "Caesar" salad, sans chicken.  Which meant lettuce.  And then there was bland bread and a plate of cookies, which worked GREAT with my whole high glucose thing.  But aside from the food, the event was excellent.  Was I speaking there as an author?  No.  I paid my $99 and went as a librarian.  But, am I really a librarian?  If I'm not working as one for a year?  I am so confused.  Because listening to a bunch of writers talk all day (and it was a great list of writers, as you can see here from my cut and paste from the Anderson's website: David Levithan, John Green, Blue Balliette, Charles Benoit, Kenneth Oppel, Dana Reinhardt and Pam Munoz Ryan. Also meet authors Alexandra Adornetto, Andrea Cremer, Simone Elkeles, Claudia Gray, Stephanie Hemphill, Antony John, Sophie Jordan, Stacey Kade, Kody Keplinger, Jim Klise, Kirsten Miller and Kiersten White), where I nodded my head frequently as I related to things they said about publishing and the writing process, etc. (God, I hope I didn't look like one of those weirdos who nods at everything a speaker says.  According to me, I did.)  It got me thinking: could I do this for a living?  OK, the event did not get me thinking about that.  I have been thinking about it constantly since the school year started and I have no school connection.  I'm all about the Ferris Bueller philosophy: Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.  Life, of course, being my daughter, Romy.  Sigh.  Such choices I will have to make over the next year.  Good ones, for sure, but tough ones.  I do love my school and being a librarian, but it sure gets in the way of being a mom.  Sigh again.  And when would I wear all my work clothes?  Decisions, decisions.

7 comments:

Brian James said...

All of life's lessons can be learned from Ferris.

Julie H said...

The funny thing is, I always thought I would have hated Ferris if we were the same age. And he would have totally ignored my existence.

Kiersten White said...

Julie! Did we meet and I didn't notice??? I was so out of it, unfortunately. But Natalie Whipple is one of my best friends and your books are on my immediate to-read list, as she raves about them : )

Julie H said...

I saw you, but I doubt you saw me! I was just in the audience :) I was in your second panel presentation in the afternoon!

Kiersten White said...

Oh, good. I was slightly more coherent for that one.

But I wish we had met! Ah well. There will be other conferences, right?

Natalie Whipple said...

I wish I would have been in the audience with you. Sounds like so much fun!

(Also, finally done with long, long edits and am reading GET WELL SOON. So fabulous! I'm a total fangirl.)

Julie H said...

Kiersten and Natalie-- how fun for you both to be in the book-writing business! And Natalie, yay for GWS! A perfect read for Banned Books Week.