Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Challenge and Dress-up News

Two things:
The GET WELL SOON challenge in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin continues!  Ann Wentworth, who has already challenged Sonya Sones's WHAT MY MOTHER DOESN'T KNOW (and failed) and one of the SISTERHOOD books (and failed-- read about it here) is bringing GET WELL SOON up to the plate next Monday, June 14.  This day is a bizarre choice, seeing that it is Flag Day and my recently divorced parents' wedding anniversary.  Not that knew this when they chose the date.  Whatever happens, I hope it lands me in the next edition of this:
ALA puts out this book every few years, listing all challenged or banned titles, where, why and when they were attacked.  Am I too late for this year's edition?

The second order of business is that I have no adult clothing to wear.  Tonight is the eighth grade graduation at my school, and I tried on all of my appropriate dresses (not like I have inappropriate dresses, but dresses appropriate for a middle school graduation are not the same as ones for a wedding.).  None of them fit me.  Not one.  I know, I know, I have no right to complain, since they were all too BIG, but still.  I hate to look like a freaky, bad-dressing librarian. The only dress I could find that fits nicely is this dress my mom made for me to wear when I was an extra in the John Cusack movie, High Fidelity.  It's super cute and made out of an alien fabric.  A fabric covered with aliens.  Not fabric from another planet.  I don't think.  That prompted me to sing a song to Romy last night that went like this, "I am an alien.  I wear an alien dress."  It sounds really good, trust me.  You can see this dress (barely, since this is a crappy clip that I found on YouTube that is also in Spanish) as I walk behind John Cusack, Jack Black, and the other guy in "High Fidelity," holding a fake boyfriend's hand.  It's at 2:40.  The scene is when Lisa Bonet sings that awful Peter Frampton song at the glorious, and sadly defunct Chicago club, Lounge Ax, where I used to be a regular at their karaoke night hosted by Fred Armisen.  Random, I know.

2 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Good luck with the banning thing! As annoying as it all is, it would be kinda cool to end up on the this. You'd be such a rebel!

Also, the alien dress sounds awesome:)

Megan said...

How cool, I had no clue you were an extra in High Fidelity! It's one of my favorite movies!


I want to see pics of you at graduation in the alien dress.