Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Final Fantasy

I'm in a funk (how many posts will I start that way?). Rain, end of summer, etc. I have been eating up a storm. My awesome next door neighbors gave me a bunch of their garden tomatoes and some homemade salsa. Today I chomped on that. I am truly in the home stretch of my novel, with only three to five chapters left. But I didn't feel like writing at the library today. I am feeling massive guilt about going back to work and leaving Tobin at home alone all day. We have so much fun together. And he's very soft. Yesterday, also a funk day, I ended up writing in the guest bedroom at home instead of at the library. It wasn't bad. I may try to do some writing later today. We'll see. I was panicking so much about having to finish this week, but it's really almost done and I'm the only one setting that deadline. The book will be finished well within the time line my editor and I have set. Granted, I know it will feel great to have it finished- but maybe a part of me doesn't want to finish? Perhaps it signifies the true end of summer? Or maybe I'll miss the creative process? Or the characters? Or maybe I know when I finish it means I have to type the whole damn thing onto my computer? And then revise, revise, revise? Hmmm... We may never know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Do you write by hand?!?

Julie H said...

Yes! I write very quickly, and my thought-to-hand process seems to be cleaner than my thought-to-typing process. But I have really bad carpal tunnel, so writing by hand and then typing has really taken its toll. I will eventually need surgery (it's shooting all the way up my elbow right now, but usually hurts less when I lay off the writing or typing for a while). I wonder how long it will take me to type it...

Anonymous said...

Put some thick glasses and English clothing on him and say he's the new Reference Librarian. Hah!