Thursday, June 07, 2007

Books Ahoy

Today was Field Day, and I started to write an article about how I am very particular about things (which I will post some time) due to my adorable Field Day outfit. But I am exhausted from being in the sun for four hours in the 87 degree weather, so maybe some other time. Instead, I thought I'd tell you what books I'm reading these days. Just so you know, I read several books at a time sometimes, but I'm a terribly slow reader so it can take me months to finish a book. Right now I'm reading What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones, which is the sequel to What My Mother Doesn't Know. I love Sones' books because they are written in poetry form (and are also very good), so I can read them much faster than I can usually read. This book is written from the perspective of a very ugly nerd boy who is dating a cute girl (who told the story in What My Mother Doesn't Know), and how everyone treats them like crap. The guy, named Robin (Kermit's nephew's name!) is so sweet. I wish I could picture what he looks like. I can remember people in junior high and high school who were tormented mercilessly because they were so unattractive. I wonder how they would look to me now. Anyway, the book is about how much Robin likes the girl (whose name I forgot), but how afraid he is that people's disgust for their relationship will break them up. Will they stay together? I hope so.

The other book I'm reading is Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger. This is another author who I have read many books by, and I just love her. She always chooses such unique topics. This one is about a transgendered teen who is trying to start living life as a boy. It's a pretty heavy topic, but Wittlinger adds lots of humor and creates such wonderful characters, I always want to be their friends. And it's making me think a lot about what I would do as a parent if I ever have a child who i s transgender (transgendered?). I am probably a third of the way through both books, but I would highly recommend either based on what I've read so far and how much I have enjoyed previous works by these authors.

So those are my book reviews. I suppose I could do that more often on the blog, what with me being a librarian and all.

No comments: