Thursday, July 13, 2006

CELL



This summer, I am trying to be a good librarian and am reading my ass off. I just finished SABRIEL by Garth Nix, which I liked a lot. I think fans of the Tamora Pierce books would like it. I am being a bad girl, though, and, instead of reading the YA books that I have to read in order to book talk them in the fall, I am reading the newest Stephen King novel, CELL. I love his books. His characters are likable and fully developed, and something about his writing hits just the right creep spots with me. CELL is about (so far) a bizarre infiltration of cell phones that causes their users to go crazy and violent. The way they’re behaving reminds me of the zombies in 28 DAYS LATER, which scared the shit out of me. So as I’m reading this last night, I start to think about how I should really have an emergency stash of food and water in the basement. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. For zombies? For terrorists? I don’t know. Would it even matter? I did not sleep well, and I think it’s because I had the heebie-jeebies from the book. That’s good writing.

No comments: